Rio Tinto CEO resigns after destruction of 46,000-year-old indigenous site

Rio Tinto CEO resigns after destruction of 46,000-year-old indigenous site

Once his successor is selected or at the end of next March, whichever date comes first, Jack will leave the company.

Two other executives are also leaving: Chris Salisbury, head of iron ore business, and Simon Niven, group executive for corporate relations. Salisbury resigns immediately and will leave the company at the end of the year. Niven will also be out in late December.

Shares of Rio Tinto were down about 1% in Sydney on Friday.

Simon Thompson, president of Rio Tinto, said in a statement, referring to the destruction of two rock shelters in Western Australia, that has shown human occupation continuously for thousands of years.

“We are committed to ensuring that the Rio Tinto operation never destroys a heritage site of such exceptional archaeological and cultural significance,” Thamps added.

The three contractors, including long-term incentive rewards, will still receive some pay as part of the terms of their contract. He has already been fined 8 8.8 million in cut bonuses.

The destruction of the Jukan Gorge caves was carried out on May 24 despite a seven-year struggle by the local guards of the land, Putu Kunti Kurma and Pinikura people, to protect the site. Rio Tinto Apologies In June.

In a report published last month, the company said it had “failed to meet some of its own standards in terms of responsible management and protection of cultural heritage.” But that didn’t fire any officials – a decision that would draw criticism from investor groups in which the company was accused of failing to take full responsibility for breaking the caves. The caves have significant archaeological value and deep cultural meaning for the tribal people.

See also  Zoom meetings strike by outage – TechCrunch

In a statement Friday, Rio Tinto acknowledged that “significant stakeholders have expressed concern about executive liability for identified failures.”

Australia Some advocacy groups in Australia have welcomed Rio Tinto’s decision.

James Fitzgerald, Legal Adviser and Head of Strategy at the Corporate Stralasian Center for Corporate Responsibility, said in a statement: Adviser and head of strategy, James Fitzgerald, said in a statement.

“The damage is irreparable,” he said. “We need to listen [Puutu Kunti Kurrama and Pinikura] People about whether they are satisfied with any change Rio Tinto has made. “

The departure was also welcomed by the National Native Title Council, an organization representing the rights and interests of indigenous custodial groups.

“But this is not the end,” CEO Jamie Lowe said Tweeted. “Rio should now undergo a tribal-led review and large-scale cultural change.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here