Updated May 6, 2021, 1:45 pm.
- After the Vice World Cup in 2018, Croatia’s “golden generation” has crossed its zenith.
- National coach Zlatko Dalic is not one of the team favorites in EM 2021.
- This is the Croatian national team.
“The Last Dance” is a Netflix documentary about Michael Jordan and the NBA team Chicago Bulls in the 1997/98 season. The “Golden Generation” in basketball, which has been going on for years, is believed to pull itself together at the last moment and eventually take the title. He is a legend.
“The Last Dance” could also be the story of Croatia at the 2021 European Championships. Sure, the Croatian national team is not one of the top favorites in football – unlike the Bulls in basketball in 1997/98. But Luka Modric’s generation is a golden, perhaps the best football Croatia has.
After a bitter 2: 4 in the 2018 World Cup final against France, it may be the final chance for Croatia on EM 2021 to arrive in time for a title. Croatia passed the European Championship qualification ahead of Wales and Slovakia as group winners, without major glare. Anyway, the best hour should come on EM.
Read also: All groups and dates – 2021 European Championship schedule at a glance
Squad in Croatia’s EM 2021: Older stars, younger talent
Luka Modric is – despite his 35 years – still the leader and carrier of hope in Croatia. Real Madrid strategists are also playmakers, handlebars, watches and: captains in national dress. Mario Mandzuk and Ivan Rakitic, who resigned from the national team, are no longer in his favor. Croatia’s “golden generation” is no longer complete on EM.
Instead of Ratik, Mato Kovacic from Chelsea and Marcelo Brozovic from Inter Milan have to control the fate of Modric as well as the Croatian midfield. Hurricane Expect now names Mandzukic Lady Kramaric from Hoffenheim instead of Buffetliga Legionnaire.
You are looking for up and coming talents in Croatia’s current team. Only Josep Bracallo of Wolfsburg, at the age of 22, can barely pass as a youngster. Rather, Croatia relies on experienced players.
EM 2021: Trainer Zlatko Dalic
The creator of the near World Cup fairy tale is Zlatko Dalic. The now 54-year-old has been directing the fortunes of “Koksti” (German: “The Checkrade”) since 2017. In summer 2020 he extended his contract until after the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
In the upcoming tournaments, Dáil, who prefers to play in 4-2-3-1, does not see Croatia as a favorite. “I think people know that 2018 was a very special year and something like that cannot be repeated every two or four years,” he said in an interview recently “December fifteen”. There is no pressure to repeat the success of 2018.
Still, Dalyk is well aware of his men’s abilities. The trainer certainly said, “Luka Modric is still our leading figure. Along with Brozovic and Kovacic, we still have one of the best midfields in the world.” It remains to be seen whether there is enough for “The Last Dance” on EM.
EM 2021: This is what the Croatian squad might look like
- Dominic Livakovic (1995), Dino Zagreb
- Louvre Kalinic (1990), Hazduk Split
- Simon Sluga (1993), Luton Town
- Dews Calta-Carr (1996), Olympic Marseille
- Dejan Lovren (1989), Zeenat st. Petersburg
- Filip Uremovich (1997), Rubin Kazan
- Domgoz Vida (1989), Besiktas Istanbul
- Borna Barisic (1992), Glasgow Rangers
- Dario Melnjak (1992), Kakur Risespor
- Simme Varsaljo (1992), Atlético Madrid
- Josep Juranovic (1995), Legia Warsaw
- Marcelo Brozovic (1992), Inter Meland
- Mato Kovacic (1994), FC Chelsea
- Mario Pasalik (1995), Atlan Bergamo
- Luka Modric (1985), Real Madrid
- Nikola Vlasic (1997), ZSKA Moscow
- Ant Rebic (1993), AC Meland
- Josep Bracallo (1998), VFL Wolfsburg
- Ivan Perisic (1989), Inter Meland
- Mislav Orsik (1992), Dino Zagreb
- Kristijn Loverick (1995), HNK Gorica
- Lady Kramarik (1991), TSG 1899 Hoffenheim
- Bruno Petkovic (1994), Dino Zagreb
- Ant Budimir (1991), CA Osuna
- Zlatko Dalic (1966), Croatian national team
These are the opposing groups of Croatia:
Amateur web specialist. General food junkie. Typical zombie enthusiast. Avid music trailblazer. Lifelong explorer.