Berlin There are many films that encourage the Christmas spirit: “Isn’t life beautiful?” In the classics. From 1946 with James Stewart, “White Christmas” (1954) with Bing Crosby, “Miracle on the 8th Street” (1987), “Ghost I Called” (1988), “Beautiful Presents” (1989), “Kevin – Alone at Home “(1990),” Santa Claus – A Beautiful Present “(1994) or” A Promise is a Promise “(1996) with Arnold Schwarzenegger.
For many Germans, “Three Hazelnuts for Cinderella” (1973) and “The Little Lord” (1980) are also part of it. But many of these Christmas films are very old or old fashioned. For those who like it more colorful and contemporary, 24 films from the last 20 years have been recommended to stream for the 2020 Advent season:
- «Holidate» (2020): People were not made alone on holidays – this is the basic premise of this romantic Netflix comedy starring Emma Roberts and Luke Brace. The film runs every year from Christmas to Christmas on all major holidays. The main characters date each other as singles so that stupid questions about loneliness are not asked. And then – who would have guessed – love comes into play. Turbulent and funny.
- «Dolly Parton’s Christmas at the Square» (2020): With their Christmas album “A Holy Dolly Christmas” song “Christmas on the Square”, country veteran Dolly Parton appears in this new film as an angel who has to educate people about charity , Because a cold-hearted real owner (Christine Baranski) prefers a shopping mall right for tenants’ safety.
- «Christmas History» Teil 1 (2018): In the first of these Netflix films, siblings Kate (Darby Camp) and Teddy Pearce (Judah Lewis) – the children of a widowed, hard-working nurse – save Christmas with the help of Santa Claus (Kurt Russell).
- «Christmas History» Teil 2 (2020): In the second part, Kate runs into the evil wizard Belsnickel, who wants to destroy the North Pole and Christmas. In Part 2, directed by “Kevin Home Alone” producer Chris Columbus, Russell’s wife Goldie Havan has a larger role as Mrs. Claus than in the first part.
- “Jingle Jungle Journey: Adventure’s Christmas!” (2020): Netflix Christmas music for the entire family based on toy maker Jeronicus Jungle (Forrest Whitaker) and his granddaughter with music by John Legend, Philip Lawrence, Usher and Kina Lede.
- «Night Before Christmas» (2019): The fairy tale is about a knight who currently ends and meets a teacher who wants to help him. The love comedy with Vanessa Hudgens is an almost inescapable part of Netflix Christmas films.
- «Exchange of Princesses» Part 1 (2018): One of Netflix’s first films with Vanessa Hudgens in a double role, a baker from Chicago and a future princess from the dream roles of the fictional European state of Belgravia.
- «Exchange of princesses» Part 2 (2020): In the second part (“Princesses swap: swap again”), Stacey and Margaret swap again, but now have to deal with a third party – a triple role for Vanessa Hudgens. This should continue in 2021.
- «A Christmas Carol» (2019): Not really a film, but three parts of the BBC (about three hours at a time). Guy Pearce plays the role of Coordinate Ebenezer Scrooge in a remake of the famous ghost story by Charles Dickens. BBC One featured on 22, 23 and 24, 2019. In Germany it will run from 9 December. in the sky.
- «Last Christmas» (2019): The Heartbreak comedy, with Emilia Clarke and Henry Golding, takes place in pre-Christmas London and is enriched by the music of George Michael. Throughout the film, the song “Last Christmas” has “I gave you my heart” in a special sense. The film can be seen on Sky, among others.
- “A Christmas Prince” Part 1, 2 and 3 (2017, 2018, 2019): About American journalist Amber Moore (Rose McIver) is one of three mass-shot films in Romania on Netflix that would have been sent to the (fictional) country of Aldovia to report on Prince Richard (Ben Lamb) is. Of course, both of them fall in love. In 2018, Netflix published “A Christmas Prince: The Royal Wedding”, a sequel to “A Christmas Prince: The Royal Baby” in 2019.
- «Dear Santa Claus» (2014): Franco-Belgian comedy about a Parisian boy who mistakes a thief for Santa Claus (“Le Pere Noel”) and climbs the Parisian rooftops with him. Available via Sky.
- «Bad Santa» (2003): Among other things, the US comedy about a thief (Billy Bob Thornton) is available via Joey who dresses up as Ho-Ho-Ho-Santa Claus and steals people in a department store, but this The bar is a lesson from a child.
- «Claus» (2019): This Spanish animated film made on Netflix is a real gem – in the German version with the voices of celebrities like Ralph Smitz, Rufus Beck, Josephine Preuss and Uschi Glasse. It is about the postman Jesspar, who migrates to the envious Zwetrachingen (Smeersburg) north of the Arctic Circle, where he meets Melanocoli toy maker Klaus, discovers his true destiny and actually celebrates Christmas . wonderful.
- “Every Year Again – Christmas at Coopers” (2015): Family comedy is available in Joy Plus about keeping problems secret during the holidays. The film mainly lives on strong actors such as Diane Keaton, Ed Hales, Olivia Wilde and Amanda Seyfried and is told from the dog’s point of view of the family dog.
- «Everything is Love» (2014): The five couples fight their way through pre-Christmas madness in Frankfurt and find each other in unusual ways at the festival. The episode film, styled “Actually … Love”, features German film stars such as Nora Tsakirner, Heke Makatsak, Tom Beck, Votan Wilke Mohring, Kathrina Schutler, Fahri Yatim and Christian Ulmen. Schnulze is available at Joyn.
- «Guardians of Light» (2012): In this imaginative animated film, the villain Pitch sends people nightmares and wants to handle them. The Guardians of Light – a quartet made up of Santa Claus, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy and Sandman – wants to defeat him. Jack Frost (German voice Florian David Fitz) is supposed to help, but must first learn to believe in himself. There is so much fun about believing in the wonderful – not just the kids. Available as a flat rate in Joy + and Netflix, among others.
- “When Santa Claus fell from the sky” (2011): This German-based children’s film, available on Netflix in flat-rate and other streaming services for money, is based on a book of the same name by Cornelia Funke. Alexander Shehr plays the role of a snooty Santa Claus, with Noah Joel Crass, Mercedes Jadia Diaz, Jessica Schwarz and Volker Leitenbrink among other roles.
- “Disney’s A Christmas Story” (2009): Charles Dickens’s classic (“A Christmas Carol”) as a Disney digital adventure to appear on the Disney + streaming service. In 19th-century London, Miser Ebenezer Scrooge is haunted by late partner Marley and then three Christmas ghosts to become a better man. “Muppets Christmas Story” (also on Disney +) from 1992 seems to be more successful with the doll.
- «Merry Christmas» (2005): The film Christmas 1914 with Diane Krueger, Beno Furman, Danny Boon and Daniel Bruhl leads Flanders. German, Scottish and French soldiers tried to celebrate the festival in the trenches of World War I. When they find out that their enemies are also celebrating, they decide for a three-day trip. Common Christmas took command of the army. The film, which is based on a true story, was nominated for an Oscar and a Golden Globe, and can be seen for example on Amazon Prime’s Sony Channel.
- «The Polar Express» (2004): A computer-animated children’s film (“Back to the Future”, “Forrest Gump”) by director Robert Zemeckis tells the story of a boy who does not believe in Santa Claus and who is better taught by a trip to the North Pole. The children’s book adaptation offers a lot to Tom Hanks in several roles, but to some eyes it is probably too heavily weighted. The film is available from almost all streaming services for an additional fee.
- «Der Grinch» (2000) – Dr. There are two well-known film versions of the children’s book Story by. Sis (Theodore Sis Gesell) since the 1950s. Although everything looks sweet, Green Grinch has reasons for ruining Christmas. For comedian Jim Carrey, the hairy Grinch is one of his most famous roles. The film is available as a flat rate on Netflix, Sky Go and Amazon Prime.
- «Der Grinch» (2018): Two years ago, this cartoon version appeared as the speaker (in the original Benedict Cumberbatch) with Otto Valkes. The Grinch animation film is available on Amazon.
- «Really… love» (2003): This British cast film – originally titled “Love Actually” – tells many stories from London to Christmas. Hugh Grant dances through the House as Prime Minister, Bill Niggie playing the role of a drunken musician. Heike Makuts is in a supporting role. Also Keira Knightley, Billy Bob Thornton, Liam Neeson, Coleen Firth, Emma Thompson, Claudia Schiffer and Rowan Atkinson are known as Mr. Bean. The film is a hit and is available on Amazon Prime, Joy, Netflix, TVW and Sky Go among others.
Amateur web specialist. General food junkie. Typical zombie enthusiast. Avid music trailblazer. Lifelong explorer.