(Hillsburn) After suffering so much suffering in Nova Scotia after a year, six families in a remote part of the state suffer another loss after a scallop boat sank on Tuesday.
The night fell on Wednesday, with the Joint Rescue Coordination Center (JRCC) in Halifax announcing that it was suspending its air and sea searches to locate five missing fishermen and turned the matter over to the RCMP.
“Our thoughts and sincere condolences go out to the families, friends and community of these men,” wrote the Rescue Center on Twitter, which coordinates military and Coast Guard resources.
Fisheries Secretary-General, Oceans and Canadian Coast Guard Baldnet Jordan also expressed sorrow on Facebook about the drowning.
“I am heartbroken for the families of Charles Roberts, Aaron Cogswell, Leonard Gabriel, Daniel Forbes, Mitchell Drake and Eugene Francis. […] Fishing is not just a job. It is also a way of living. This can be difficult, unpredictable and dangerous. But unlike any other profession, there is a community built around it. I know that during this difficult time, our communities will come together to support each other, as we always have, ”the Nova Scotia MP wrote.
The boat sank in Bay of Fun near Delps Cove, Nova Scotia in the early hours of Tuesday. His emergency beacon alerted JRCC before 6 am.
The boat sank north-east of Digby, between waves of 40 km / h and three meters due to unusually high tide pressure. Researchers later found two empty life rafts, clothes and debris consistent with a ship.
The body of one person was found on Tuesday evening. The search to locate the other five men continued on Wednesday as well. The researchers still had to climb rocky shores covered with light layers of snow and ice. They had to contend with strong waves, cool spray and winds that blew snow.
The RCMP said in a statement on Wednesday evening that the discovery of land during the day would be caused by dangerous conditions at night. They said they would be looking for “life jackets, survival kits, survival suits, emergency beacons and human remains”.
In a statement on Wednesday evening, Yarmouth Sea Products, the company in which the fishermen worked, said the boat had been at sea since December 12 and left the field for fishing to return to Digby, Nova Scotia at around 1pm. Tuesday morning. He said that other ships had left their fishing grounds on Monday evening due to the forecast of worsening weather.
“It appears that there was an unknown incident that caused the ship to collapse, as there was no crisis,” the statement said.
The company said all necessary maintenance and inspection of the safety equipment was up-to-date, and claimed that Charles Roberts was an experienced captain who operated the boat for most of the 2020s.
The Transportation Safety Board of Canada announced that it would send a team of investigators to the scene of the wreck on Thursday. They will evaluate what happened and determine the level of investigation.