Halifax hockey player gets support after racist incident

Halifax hockey player gets support after racist incident

Halifax – A young Nova Scotia minor hockey player who was the target of racist gestures at a tournament in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island last month, said Thursday that he was impressed by the influx of support messages he received.

Notably, he would have received a handwritten letter from the Premier of Prince Edward Island.

Mark Connors, 16, is a goaltender for the Halifax Hawks U18 AA team. Black teenager says he was subjected to racist insults by a group of teenagers in the stands during a match.

He must have been cursed again at the hotel where he stayed with his companions. He said that he was repeatedly called by the “N” word and said that hockey was a white man’s sport.

In an interview, the teenager said that she was shaken by the events and is still upset.

He said, ‘I am a little sad because I came there only to play hockey. I didn’t expect to go through all this. ,

But since the incident was publicly disclosed, he says he is overjoyed with the response across the country and even thereafter.

New Jersey Devils defenseman PK Subban responded on Twitter on Thursday, writing, “When will this end?” Believe it or not, I get stories like this every day. It happens every day in our sport,” he said. “Wait Mark! We’re with you.”

In an interview on Thursday, the boy’s father, Wayne Connors, revealed that he wrote directly to the premiere of PEI. And that the latter wrote an apology letter addressed to his son.

Dennis King wrote in the letter, “I am disappointed and sincerely disappointed to hear of your treatment and verbal and racist attacks on you during our hockey weekend in Prince Edward Island.” The Canadian Press obtained a copy.

See also  World Cup qualifier draw: Rob Page says Wales will be honored by Belgium

Mr King wrote that the “vast majority” of the islanders are known for their hospitality and friendliness.

“But we also have to recognize that we are not perfect,” he wrote. “That much work remains to be done, that much education is needed and that dialogue must continue to free our society from pain, stupidity and racism.”

The premier revealed that he has contacted the hockey federation in his province to demand that the reported incidents be investigated and those involved held accountable.

The Prime Minister’s Office did not respond to requests for comment from The Canadian Press.

On Wednesday, the Halifax Hawks Minor Hockey Association announced the boycott of its teams from all tournaments played on the neighboring island until the incident was investigated.

The Hawks have since changed their logo on their social media platforms to reflect the number “31” worn by the young Connors and a message that read “The Hawks Against Racism”.

Young Mark Connors commented, “It’s nice to know that I don’t have to go through this alone and to know that people are supporting me.”

PEI Hockey Federation said in a statement issued on Wednesday. Confirmed that an investigation was officially underway. The federation said it implemented a policy of zero tolerance for any act of discrimination or hateful gestures.

,

This article was produced with financial support from Facebook and The Canadian Press News Scholarship.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here