Football EM: Scotland rises and goes down

Football EM: Scotland rises and goes down

The ball lifted off the center line and flew through the air toward the empty goal, in what felt like an eternity when Scotland realized the dream shot by Czech Patrick Schick would become its own nightmare. After the hit, there was an embarrassing silence among Scottish fans almost without exception at Humpden Park. The haunting silence was reminiscent of a cemetery – where the Scottish hope was buried to report back with the first success in EM after ten consecutive missed tournaments.

Schick’s double double saw the Czech Republic win 2–0 (1–0) against Scotland on the opening day of Group D. After an insufficiently cleared corner, the Bayer Leverkusen striker hit his head just before the end of the first half. At the start of the second half, in a counterattack, Schick overtook goalkeeper David Marshall, who was far from his own goal. Schick told the BBC of the dream goal: “I had this idea in the first half. When the ball came, I saw the goalkeeper was too far ahead and just tried.”

Sprint, jump – landing in the net: Scotland goalkeeper David Marshall tries in vain to catch Patrick Schick’s 45m shot.

(Photo: Andy Buchanan/AP)

As expected, a nervous, hard-working game developed to a manageable level in stormy, cold, wet Glasgow. However, the Scots were hardly up to the occasion. On game day, the Times captioned it: “Seize the moment!” But the excitement and enthusiasm for the team’s action around national coach Steve Clark initially turned into panic – and then turned into panic after several frivolous occasions. Despite all the support, 12,000 spectators did not manage to get their team back into the game.

The burden of history held the Scots back – every gate would have been one for the ages

As the national anthem – “Flower of Scotland” – was played, Hampden Park woke up in its old, eerie shape. The noise level suggested that the stadium was completely full and, as determined, only a quarter. The Scottish players could not help but immediately went on the offensive. In each duel, the spectators jumped aside, a distinctive Scottish attack developing in the 18th minute. Without any frills, it progressed through captain Andrew Robertson, his cross reaching Lyndon Dykes, who fumbled the ball at close range. It was the same with his teammates John McGuin and Ryan Christie, who missed out on passable opportunities. Robertson missed his best chance after half an hour when he was free-standing in the penalty area and did not aim his shot properly. The burden of history overtook the Scots – every goal would have been one for the ages, at least until another Scotsman scored a goal in a major tournament. The last time a certain Craig Burley was successful in doing this was in the 1998 World Cup. Scotland had not qualified for a final tournament since then.

What has really been missed in these last 23 years became apparent for the first time before kick-off when the Scots sang their folk song “The Bonnie Banks of Loch Lomond”, a truly enchanting folk song. When control of the stadium moved to the next item of the program after two minutes, it was a whistling concert for the decision. Thus, the tone was set for the historic first final game in the 118-year history of Hampden Park, a national stadium of the original style, which, with its limited facilities, has been out of date, but for precisely this reason. is still heard one of the gems of European football. Under the title “When Hampden roared”, the Times listed the loudest experiences at this stadium on match day, when fans blew their throats at Hampden. This included a 2017 World Cup qualifier, in which Scott Leigh Griffiths scored two sensational free-kick goals against England in the final leg. The draw in stoppage time only prevented Scotland’s first success over England since 1999.

Fans live the game like hardly any other place, almost without exception

The Scots’ early game was not suitable for similar cabinet pieces. The clash with the Czechs was less of a game for the eyes than for the ears. The peculiarity of an international match in Glasgow is that Scotland practically does not need a coach as spectators guide the players in every situation anyway. Fans live the game like hardly any other place, standing almost without exception and mostly with a keen sense of right behavior. After the double strike from Schick (42nd/52nd), the guys pushed their own team. Almost every minute the Scots had clear chances to score. Several consecutive failures against the brilliant Czech goalkeeper Tomas Váklik; A goal scored by defender Tomas Kalas almost leveled it 1-1. But the wind was also not on the Scots side when Wacklick was able to stop the ball, which was almost in the air, just in front of the line. Even from a few yards away, the attacking Dykes failed to put the ball into goal, as in the case of substitute James Forrest.

Due to the defeat, Scotland are under heavy pressure on Friday with old rivals England’s “Old Enemy” going past the preliminary rounds for the first time in a tournament. Otherwise the long wait for EM would have been almost in vain.

See also  'The epitome of mansplaining': a mockery of Scotland's male commissioner for free toiletries - Panorama - Society


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here