Nick Kyrgios lets Novak Djokovic fly in the block chat

0
5
Time Out: Andy Murray using lockdown to see his kids grow up

He arrived as the couple chatted in a live Instagram session after midnight in Kyrgios’ native Australia, which was mid-Saturday afternoon for Murray in the UK.

“I honestly think you’re better than Djokovic in my opinion,” said Kyrgios. “Djokovic is playing dodging the ball on my serve. He couldn’t return it. And you’re there … slapping him for a winner. I couldn’t make it.”

Kyrgios has a 2-0 record against Djokovic as he loses five out of six against Scot. But Djokovic won 17 Grand Slam titles at Murray’s three to make him one of the top three in men’s tennis alongside Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal.

While Kyrgios and Murray have always got on well – even going on a roller coaster ride together with Cincinnati in 2018 – world no. 40 did not hide his contempt for Djokovic.

He said that last year, during a podcast, the number 1 in the world has a “sick obsession with wanting to be appreciated” while Nadal dissists.

Kyrgios has been fined and suspended for some of his antics in the past, but has been instrumental in kicking off tennis. ” aid for forest fires which devastated Australia ahead of the Australian Open in January, where it lost to Nadal.

The break in tennis due to the current coronavirus pandemic has seen Murray – who celebrated his 33rd birthday on Friday – take part in Instagram lives with Nadal and Djokovic.

Nadal, however, declined a request from 25-year-old Kyrgios to chat on the social media platform.

Murray ‘okay’ to come back

His career was saved by hip resurfacing surgery last year, Murray suspected that he would be ready to return to action when the professional tennis circuit resumed.

“I think when things get back to normal I think everything will be fine,” said Murray.

Kyrgios wants to play doubles with him.

But a return date is not yet known. And after the demolition of the clay courts that led to the French Open and then to the European field events including Wimbledon, ATP announced on Friday a further suspension of the men’s tour until the end of July.

The cancellation of Wimbledon marked the first grand slam this year which was officially canceled. The fate of the US Open in late August is expected to be determined next month.

The French Open, meanwhile, is now scheduled for September after moving controversially its place on the calendar.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here