Scotland defends the unimaginable British


football championship

No goals: Scotland stop unimaginable British

Scotsman John McGuin (L) is on the ball in a duel in front of Raheem Sterling.

Facundo Arrizabalaga/Pool EPA/AP/dpa

England’s highly acclaimed attack has largely faded in the second EM game. Nevertheless, the three lions can plan the next round. The Scots celebrate the draw with their arrival like a win.

Scotland fans celebrated a minute-long party in the stands after the final whistle, with most English supporters looking for a quick exit.

In the incessant rain in London, Bravehearts supporters cheered their arrival like a victory 0–0 victory and cheered their team on. While the English suffered a first loss in this European Football Championship and missed the opening jump in the round of 16, the Scots could continue to dream of entering the knockout stage thanks to a surprise points win. But they need a win in their last group match against Croatia on Tuesday. At the same time, England is playing against the Czech Republic.

Games “hard” and “difficult”

England captain Harry Kane said after a spectacular but thrilling classic at Wembley Stadium, praise for Scotland, they defended very well. The result is fine because his team didn’t perform at its best and didn’t create enough chances. The game was tough and tough. Man of the Match winning Scotland midfielder Billy Gilmour said, “We wanted to fight back and get through this.” And the outsider had succeeded.

The atmosphere was buzzing even before the 115th edition of Evergreen began. Most of the 22,500 spectators blew the whistle with the Scots national anthem. As announced earlier, when players from both teams kneeled on the grass for a moment just before kick-off to send a common signal against discrimination and racism, there was mostly applause, but some boos as well. used to come.

See also  Royals: Prince William and Kate may soon move to Scotland

The favored British quickly took control of the pitch. John Stones nearly put him ahead after eleven minutes but hit the post with a header from a corner. Two minutes later, Mason Mount swung the ball toward goal from close range. It was like this for a long time, but there were also good opportunities. The Three Lions, who had an average starting XI of 25 years and 31 days and thus were the youngest Englishmen ever to appear in a World Cup or European Championship game, had more authority but some ideas were moving forward. His performance was initially reminiscent of a 1-0 win against Croatia, in which he made an energetic start and then rested.

Scotland Strong

The Scots largely relied on their stronghold around Arsenal professional Kieran Tierney, who had recovered from an injury, on defense, on fighting and passion, but also on an occasional offensive tone. Like in the fourth minute, when a shot from Che Adams was blocked after a good combination. Or in the 30th minute when England keeper Jordan Pickford made a strong defense against Stephen O’Donnell. As the first half progressed, the guests seemed more adventurous – and the English fans were less satisfied.

The British also started the second half early, but they rarely became really dangerous. Mount was unsuccessful with a low shot by Scotland goalkeeper David Marshall (48th), Reece James shot it well from a promising position (55th). The right-back was then challenged by Chelsea FC and made a brilliant save on the line during an attempt by Lyndon Dykes (62′).

See also  Charles III: the cloak problem of the monarchy

The game was exciting, but England was unimaginable for a long time. Coach Gareth Southgate tried to boost the home team’s offense with newcomers, first bringing in Jack Grealish and then Marcus Rashford for hapless James Foden and Kane. Dortmund’s Jadon Sancho, who was in the English side this time, unlike the first game against Croatia, remained on the bench. Adams gave the Bravehearts a sensational win in the 78th minute, but was shot over. The new edition of the world’s oldest football duel ended like its premiere 149 years ago in Glasgow: 0-0.


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here