The United States blocks the United Nations resolution on the coronavirus ceasefire after China pushed the WHO mention

0
17
Trump praised China's response to pandemic in past remarks

The United States rejected any reference to the WHO in the text of the resolution, and also refused an alternative that did not explicitly name the organization – and instead cited United Nations “specialized health agencies”, they told CNN two diplomatic sources: United Nations diplomats were surprised by the move by the United States to block the vote on Friday.The effort they had been working on for more than six weeks came to an abrupt halt and they fear it cannot be revived.

“This discussion has been taken hostage by issues that have nothing to do with the real issues at stake. Instead, it has been turned into a struggle between the United States and China,” a Security Council diplomat told CNN. ‘UN. “We are back to the starting point.”

Similarly, the United States blocked expressions of global unity at G7 and G20 meetings because of anger towards China and WHO.

Last month, President Donald Trump suspended WHO funding for his “role in mismanagement and coverage of the spread of the coronavirus.” The State Department and the U.S. Agency for International Development are now redirecting funding for the pandemic to several health care organizations.

China urged the resolution to include a reference to WHO efforts, which prompted the United States’ refusal.

A State Department spokesman said the Trump administration wants the United Nations Security Council to demand a global ceasefire, but said China has curbed efforts to succeed.

“In our view, the goal should be to support the Secretary General’s request for a global ceasefire. Unfortunately, the PRC has been determined to use this resolution to advance false narratives about its response to the outbreak of COVID-19 in Wuhan, “said the spokesman. “In our view, the Council should either proceed with a limited resolution in support of a ceasefire or an enlarged resolution that fully responds to the need for a renewed commitment by Member States to transparency and accountability in the context of COVID-19” .

The spokesman also said that China has “repeatedly blocked the compromises that would have allowed the Council to move forward”.

United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres has repeatedly called for a global ceasefire and praised the countries and non-state actors that supported this push.
Obama claims that the White House response to the coronavirus was an absolute chaotic disaster
The rift between the United States and China continues to grow as the United States asks China to be transparent and provide more information to the world on the origin of the virus and China claims that the United States is telling lies about the origin of the virus. The Trump administration has been the main voice in criticizing the way China has handled the epidemic in the first few weeks.
State Department officials repeatedly point to the United States as the nation that provided the most funding for the crisis internationally – at nearly $ 6.5 billion in government and non-governmental contributions, said Secretary of State Mike Pompeo earlier this week. Pompeo claimed that this figure was more than 12 times China’s contribution to the pandemic

Trump administration officials also say that if China had been more transparent at first – which could potentially have prevented the novel coronavirus from turning into a pandemic – lives would have been saved.

Trump also downplayed the virus and his administration was criticized for a bumpy response to the pandemic, which left his administration at gunpoint.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here