Japan The cities of Osaka and Sapporo have withdrawn from their controversial Go to Travel campaign, which was launched in July to help the country’s cove-affected economy.
The government is being pressured to reconsider the scheme, which offers generous travel and accommodation, citing recent contributions to coronavirus infections in parts of Japan, experts say.
“We have agreed to temporarily exclude travel to Saforo and Osaka cities from the travel campaign,” Economics Minister Yasutoshi Nishimura told reporters.
“Although we have tried to balance economic revival with virus control, we have taken this decision at the request of local governors.”
The decision is a blow to the efforts of Prime Minister Yoshihid Suga to support the regional economy during the epidemic.
Osaka and Sapporo will have a limit until December 15, but the Association of Regional Governors said the new restrictions should also apply to residents of cities planning to travel to other parts of the country.
“Many governors are concerned about people coming from infected areas. I (the government) want to consider taking full action, “according to the Kyodo News Agency, the governor of Tokushima prefecture, Kamon Izumi, told Nishimura.
International travel gained momentum, however, after Japan and China agreed to resume business trips, passengers were exempted from the 12-day quarantine period if they tested negative for the Covid-1 for and presented their journey. Japan agrees to similar arrangements with Singapore, South Korea and Vietnam.
According to the Japan National Tourism Organization, about 9.6 million Chinese visited Japan last year, including 370,000 business travelers.
Amateur web specialist. General food junkie. Typical zombie enthusiast. Avid music trailblazer. Lifelong explorer.