Window to prevent drought compensation Yemen UN agencies have warned that new assessments show that millions more could go hungry in the coming months.
The warning came as the World Health Organization’s food safety assessment showed that thousands of people were drowning in the drought – a number predicted to triple in the first half of next year – while millions more saw a decline in food consumption.
An estimated 16,500 people are now facing a “catastrophic, drought-like situation”, which could rise to 47,000 by June 2021.
The new figures were released as aid agencies warned that less than half of the emergency funds requested by the UN to help Yemen this year Was delivered. Last month, UN humanitarian chief Mark Locock told the UN Security Council that the $ 3.4bn (£ 2.5bn) appeal for Yemen for 2020 received only લર 1.5bn, or about 45%.
He said that by this time last year, the U.N. Has doubled – about b 3 billion.
British Foreign Secretary Dominic Rabe announced an additional 14 14 million in emergency funding for Yemen, which he said would take the UK’s contribution to 21 214 million this year.
A joint statement from the World Food Program, UNICEF and the Food and Agriculture Organization said that according to an assessment released on Thursday, more than half of Yemen’s 30 million people are at risk of “rising hunger levels” by mid-2021.
The analysis warns that the number of people facing food insecurity in Phase 4 – the Crisis Phase – is set to increase from 6.6 million in the first half of 2021 to an ised million – which, without changing the course, will leave the country in the lurch.
Five years of war Tired families and people on the left are extremely vulnerable to shock.
“These alarming numbers must be a wake-up call for the world. Yemen is on the brink of famine and we should not retreat millions of families anymore, said David Beasley, executive director of the World Food Program.
Muhsin Siddiqui, Yemen’s director of Oxfam, said: “It is unbearable that millions of Yemenis are one step away from drought and struggling with conflict, covid and cholera, as well as devastating levels of hunger.
“And yet, donors have given half of the money needed this year to provide basic needs such as clean water, food and medicine to the weakest.
“As the world struggles with the economic consequences of the epidemic, the international community must not forget the world’s most vulnerable people, who urgently need help to save lives, and make every effort to ensure a peaceful settlement of this conflict.”
The conflict in the Arab world’s poorest nation began when Iran-backed Shiite rebels, known as the Houthis, seized the capital Sana’a in 2014, forcing the internationally recognized government to flee.
The following year, a Saudi-led coalition backing the government intervened to fight the insurgency and thwart Iran’s influence in what has turned into a stable regional proxy war. Since then, more than 100,000 people – fighters and civilians – have been killed.
“Make no mistake, 2021 will be even worse than 2020 for Yemen’s weakest people,” Beasley added. “Drought can still be prevented – but that opportunity is slipping away with the passing of the day.”
In recent months, humanitarian aid to Yemen has declined significantly as Arab donor countries have failed to deliver on previous promises.
Earlier this year, cuts in humanitarian support, including food aid, offset past food security benefits and left families with food gaps, the agencies said. “The cut will continue next year and may be extended, unless funding is received immediately.”
Amateur web specialist. General food junkie. Typical zombie enthusiast. Avid music trailblazer. Lifelong explorer.