India and China issue joint statement on border dispute

India and China issue joint statement on border dispute

Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi and Indian Foreign Minister Subramaniam Jaishankar posed for a photo during the Foreign Ministers’ Meeting of the Council of Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Moscow, Russia on September 10, 2020.

Russian Foreign Press Service Handout | Anadolu Agency | Getty Images

Singapore – India and China have issued a joint statement He called for dialogue and scattering to ease tensions between nuclear-armed rivals over the ongoing border dispute in the Himalayas.

He came after the foreign ministers of the two countries met on the sidelines of a meeting of the Shanghai Cooperation Organization in Moscow on Thursday.

According to the Indian Ministry of External Affairs, the discussions between India’s Subramaniam Jaishankar and Chinese Foreign Minister Wang Yi were “clear” and “constructive”.

“The two foreign ministers agreed that the current situation in the border areas is not in the interest of both parties. So they agreed that the border forces of both parties should continue talks, disband quickly, maintain proper distance and reduce tensions,” the statement said. It added that the countries have agreed to abide by existing agreements and protocols on Sino-Indian border issues and to avoid escalating tensions.

“Both sides have agreed to continue dialogue and communication through the Special Representative Mechanism on the Indo-China Border,” the statement said.

Troops from both sides have been involved in the border dispute since May In June, 20 Indian soldiers were killed in a fatal clash. China has not said whether its troops suffered any casualties. Earlier this week, New Delhi and Beijing accused each other of harboring opposition troops during a new confrontation on a reckless border.

See also  Just after Hagia Sophia, Turkey turns a different museum into mosque

Under it, weapons are limited in border areas Previous agreementIs, which experts said highlighted the seriousness of this week’s confrontation.

Neither side is willing to back down

Political Risk Consultation Eurasia Group predicts a 60% probability of a situation where obstruction with periodic flares and collisions continues, with limited casualties.

“So far, there have been several meetings between the Special Representatives for the Boundary Question, the Defense Ministers ‘Meeting and the Foreign Ministers’ Meeting, and none of these negotiations have been successful in preventing new conflicts,” Stated in the note. They explained that given the current state of bilateral relations, the two sides are unlikely to give an inch.

Politically the Prime Minister of India Narendra Modi According to analysts, they were under criticism for failing to accept Chinese intruders into Indian territory, as they would not be able to retreat. He added that from now on, other losses in the region for India would damage Modi’s “image as a powerhouse that will protect India.”

President of China Xi Jinping Either way it won’t come back and “as both sides prepare for a long-running conflict, the signs are pointing in the direction of turning to this hot border.”

“This is not to say that diplomacy will not continue. Commander-level negotiations are likely to continue, as will diplomatic meetings.”

The Eurasia Group has also predicted a 25% probability and 15% probability of ernda military conflict on the border and successful diplomatic negotiations.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here