Trump, Pentagon to announce plans to withdraw more US troops from Iraq

Trump, Pentagon to announce plans to withdraw more US troops from Iraq

President Trump And The Pentagon The senior defense official told Fox News that the U.S. military plans to reduce the level from 5,200 to 3,500.

Officials said the coordinated announcement would be made sometime during Wednesday and that Iraqis were aware of the decision and were on board.

Trump will award the Medal of Honor to a soldier who rescued 75 hostages on 9/11

A senior administration official discussed the draw with reporters aboard Air Force One on Tuesday night on condition of anonymity.

ISIS launches more than 100 attacks in Iraq in Iraq Gust, more intense than last month

The top U.S. general for the Middle East said in July that he believes U.S. Will have a small but sustainable presence in Iraq.

U.S. The commander of Central Command, Marine General Frank McKenzie, said he believed the Iraqi people welcomed the US and coalition forces, especially in the ongoing fight to prevent IS fighters from re-occupying the country.

“We’re looking forward to the day when we don’t have to be there,” Trump told reporters two weeks ago. The remarks came during a meeting of the Oval Office with Iraqi Prime Minister Mustafa al-Qadimi. It seems to be an attempt by Trump to fulfill his promise to end U.S. involvement in “endless wars.”

Get the Fox News app

Military officials have already announced that they plan to reduce the number of troops in Afghanistan from the current level to between 4,000 and 4,000. That announcement will be made by the President in the coming days. A senior U.S. official told Fox that there is currently no immediate change in the approximately 600 U.S. troops in Syria.

See also  GENTZ: Initial assessment refers to a bombing of a ship in the Gulf of Oman from Iran

The Associated Press contributes to this report

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here